Last Updated on October 31, 2023 by Jake Sheridan
How To Open CSV File In Google Sheets
Many software packages export data in CSV, or comma separated value, format.
CSV format is a simple spreadsheet format where each row is separated by a line break and each column within the rows is separated by a comma. CSV files cannot contain formatting, formulas, or other more complicated features.
Google Sheets makes it easy to open CSV files, edit them and convert them into formats that support formatting and formulas.
Identifying CSV Files in Google Drive
CSV files will appear in Google Drive with a different icon from Google Sheets Files or Google Docs.
The CSV icons are blue, unlike Google Sheets Icons, and they have a different shape from Google Docs icons:
Opening CSV Files
When a CSV file is double clicked, instead of opening in the Google Sheets editor, it will open in a read-only in the CSV viewer.
If you need to make edits to your CSV file or convert it to another format, follow these steps:
Double click on the CSV file in Google Drive to open the CSV viewer.
At the top of the viewer, click on the Open With dropdown and select Google Sheets from the menu:
After a few seconds, the Google Sheets editor will open with a new Google Spreadsheet containing the data from your CSV file:
All the features of Google Sheets are now available to edit your data, such as formatting, and formulas
Example GSheets Spreadsheet: Make a copy of the example spreadsheet
Example CSV Spreadsheet: Make a copy of the example spreadsheet
In this tutorial, I covered how to open a CSV file in Google Sheets. Want more? Check out all the Google Sheets Tutorials.
More ways to import in Google Sheets:
- Fix IMPORTRANGE Internal Error
- IMPORTRANGE From Another Tab
- IMPORTRANGE With Conditions
- IMPORTRANGE With Formatting
- VLOOKUP + IMPORTRANGE
- IMPORTRANGE Multiple Ranges
- Filter IMPORTRANGE Data
- Fix IMPORTRANGE Error Loading Data
- Fix IMPORTRANGE Formula Parse Error
- Create A CSV File
- Import Data Into Google Sheets
- Import Spreadsheet Into Google Sheets
- Export Google Sheets To Excel
- Download Google Sheets
- How To Use Importrange
- Import CSV
- Import Excel
- Save as a CSV
- Import Data From Another Sheet
- Import Google Sheets To Excel
- Import PDF
- Export a Google Sheet into Different Formats
- Pull Data From Multiple Tabs
- Connect Google Forms To Google Sheets
- Open Excel In Google Sheets