Last Updated on October 31, 2023 by Jake Sheridan
How To Export Google Sheets To Excel
Google Sheets is a great tool to collaborate and work on spreadsheets, but in many circles Excel is still the industry standard and you’ll often find you need to save your work in the Excel format.
Fortunately, Google Sheets allows you to export spreadsheets to the Excel file format so you can do your work in Google Sheets but still end up with a fully functional Excel file.
Exporting Google Sheets
Once you have your Google Sheet, follow these steps to export it to Excel:
Open the Google Sheet you want to export
Open the File Menu, hover over the Download submenu to open it, then click on the Microsoft Excel (.xlsx) option
Your browser’s Save File window will open.
Select a location on your computer to save the file and a filename and click the Save button to save your file
A copy of your Google Sheet is now saved as an Excel file at the location you specified.
The file’s extension will be .xlsx and you can open it in Excel just like you would any other Excel file
GSheets Example Spreadsheet: Make a copy of the example Google Sheets
Excel Example Spreadsheet: Make a copy of the example Excel spreadsheet
In this tutorial, I covered how to export Google Sheets to excel. Want more? Check out all the Google Sheets Tutorials.
More ways to import in Google Sheets:
- Fix IMPORTRANGE Internal Error
- IMPORTRANGE From Another Tab
- IMPORTRANGE With Conditions
- IMPORTRANGE With Formatting
- VLOOKUP + IMPORTRANGE
- IMPORTRANGE Multiple Ranges
- Filter IMPORTRANGE Data
- Fix IMPORTRANGE Error Loading Data
- Fix IMPORTRANGE Formula Parse Error
- Open CSV File
- Create A CSV File
- Import Data Into Google Sheets
- Import Spreadsheet Into Google Sheets
- Download Google Sheets
- How To Use Importrange
- Import CSV
- Import Excel
- Save as a CSV
- Import Data From Another Sheet
- Import Google Sheets To Excel
- Import PDF
- Export a Google Sheet into Different Formats
- Pull Data From Multiple Tabs
- Connect Google Forms To Google Sheets
- Open Excel In Google Sheets