Last Updated on August 16, 2023 by Jake Sheridan
CONVERT Function in Google Sheets
The Google Sheets CONVERT function converts a numerical value to a different unit of measure, such as weight, distance, time, volume etc.
=CONVERT(value, start_unit, end_unit)
- value – the numeric value in start_unit to convert to end_unit
- start_unit – the starting unit, the unit currently assigned to value
- end_unit – the unit of measure into which to convert value
When using the TEXT function in Google Sheets, the function converts a numerical value from one unit of measurement to another, so both units of measure need to be in the same category:
Google Sheets CONVERT Examples
Here are some convert formula examples following this syntax:
=CONVERT(5.1, "g", "kg")– Converts 5.1 grams into kilograms.
=CONVERT(32, "C", "F")– Converts 32 degrees Celsius into degrees Fahrenheit.
=CONVERT(35.7, "in^2", "m^2")– Converts 35.7 square inches into square meters.
=CONVERT(A1, A2, A3)– Converts the value in cell A1 from the unit specified in cell A2 to the unit specified in cell A3.
20 Ways To Convert Stuff with Google Sheets
Looking for more ways to convert stuff in Google Sheets?
Below you will find 20 step-by-step instructions for converting lots of different things with the humble spreadsheet.
Each tutorial is grouped under these categories to make it a little easier to navigate:
- Converting Files
- Transforming Data
- Converting Google Sheets to Other Formats
- Other Functions
Converting Files to Google Sheets
In this section, we’ll explore various methods for importing and converting files from different formats into Google Sheets, making data manipulation seamless and efficient
How to convert Google Docs to Google Sheets
- Launch Google Docs and log in to your account in a web browser.
- Select the download format for the document based on the information it contains.
- Unzip the file to access the HTML file inside it.
- Select File and Import to upload the file to Google Sheets.
More detailed tutorial: How To Convert Google Docs to Google Sheets
How to open numbers file
- Numbers files must be converted to Excel spreadsheets before they can be opened in Google Sheets.
- Cloud Convert is the most commonly used program for this conversion.
- After the conversion, the file can be uploaded to Google Sheets and imported.
More detailed tutorial: How To Open Numbers File in Google Sheets
How to convert PDF to Google Sheets
- PDFs are not the best format for editing text.
- There is no direct way to convert a PDF to a spreadsheet.
- Google Drive can be used to convert a PDF into a Google Docs document.
More detailed tutorial: How to Convert PDF to Google Sheets
Convert CSV to Google Sheets
- CSV files can be opened in any text editor, but the data is easiest to manipulate using a spreadsheet program, like Google Sheets.
- You can upload a CSV directly to Google Sheets or import the CSV into an existing Google Sheets document.
- After importing the CSV, you should be able to view and edit the data in Google Sheets.
More detailed tutorial: How To Convert CSV To Google Sheets
How to convert Excel to Google Sheets
- Excel files can be stored in Google Drive.
- Excel files can be converted to Google Sheets by using the “Save as Google Sheets” option.
- Excel files can also be uploaded as Google Sheets documents.
More detailed tutorial: How To Convert Excel To Google Sheets
Transforming Data in Google Sheets
Moving on, we’ll delve into the powerful data transformation capabilities of Google Sheets, where you’ll learn how to convert data types, manipulate values, and retrieve information dynamically.
How to convert currency
- The GOOGLEFINANCE function can be used to convert currency in Google Sheets.
- The formula for currency conversion is to multiply the original value with the conversion rate.
- Number formatting can be used to add the appropriate currency symbol.
More detailed tutorial: How To Convert Currency In Google Sheets
How to convert number to text string
- The TO_TEXT function can be used to convert numbers to strings.
- The TEXT function can be used to convert numbers to strings in a specified format.
- The “#” character can be used to force the display of zeros.
More detailed tutorial: How to Convert Numbers to Strings in Google Sheets
How to convert formula to value
- Select the cell or cell range that you want to convert to values and copy them to your clipboard.
- Select a new empty cell to place your values and right-click on the cell and select the Values only option under Paste special.
- You can also find the paste values only option in the Edit menu or use the Ctrl+Shift+V keyboard shortcut.
More detailed tutorial: How To Convert Formulas to Values in Google Sheets
How to convert columns to rows
- Select the cell range you want to transpose and copy it.
- Right-click on a new cell and select the Transposed option under Paste special.
- Use the TRANSPOSE function to create a dynamic transposed table.
More detailed tutorial: How To Convert Columns To Rows in Google Sheets
How to convert timestamp to date
- Timestamps are a great way to keep track of data over time.
- Built-in number formatting options in Google Sheets can be used to convert a timestamp to a more readable date format.
- The INT and TO_DATE functions can be used together to “round off” a timestamp so that it will drop any time values.
More detailed tutorial: How To Convert Timestamp To Date in Google Sheets
How to convert date to day of week
- The WEEKDAY function can be used to convert dates to a number that represents a particular day of the week.
- The TEXT function can be used to return the actual day of the week as a string.
- The optional second argument ‘type’ in the WEEKDAY function allows users to set what day is considered the start of the week.
More detailed tutorial: How To Convert Date To Day Of Week in Google Sheets
How to convert text to date
- The DATEVALUE and TO_DATE functions can be used to convert text to date formats.
- The LEFT, MID, and RIGHT functions can be used to extract the year, month, and day from 8-digit strings.
- Number formatting can be used to display the date in the desired format.
More detailed tutorial: How To Convert Text To Date in Google Sheets
How to convert minutes to hours
- Minutes can be converted to hours either as a decimal value or in the “hh:mm” format.
- The CONVERT function can be used to convert the minute values into hour values.
- The TEXT function can be used to convert the number into a “hh:mm” format.
More detailed tutorial: How To Convert Minutes To Hours in Google Sheets
How to convert fraction to decimal
- The TEXT function can be used to convert fractions to decimals in Google Sheets.
- The number formatting options can also be used to format fractions as decimals.
- The format “0.00” can be used to output up to two decimal places.
More detailed tutorial: How To Convert Fraction To Decimals in Google Sheets
How to get stock prices
- The GOOGLEFINANCE() function can be used to pull financial data directly into Google Sheets.
- The GOOGLEFINANCE() function requires a ticker symbol as the first parameter.
- Other parameters can be used to specify what information about the stock to pull, such as the start and end dates to pull, and whether to pull the data daily or weekly.
More detailed tutorial: How To Get Stock Prices In Google Sheets
Converting Google Sheets to Other Formats
This part focuses on how you can easily convert your Google Sheets into other popular formats, giving you the flexibility to use your data in numerous applications.
How to convert Google Sheets to Excel
- Open the Google Sheets document you want to convert into an Excel file.
- Select the option Download > Microsoft Excel (.xlsx) to download the current project as an Excel file.
- Right-click on the file and select the Download option from Google Drive.
More detailed tutorial: How To Convert Google Sheets To Excel
Convert Google Sheets to CSV
- Navigate to the spreadsheet you want to convert into a CSV file.
- Select the option File > Download > Comma Separated Values (.csv).
- Open the CSV file in an application like Notepad or Microsoft Excel.
More detailed tutorial: How To Convert Google Sheets to CSV
How to convert Google Sheets to PDF
- Navigate to the spreadsheet you want to convert into a PDF.
- Click on the option File > Download > PDF (.pdf).
- Modify the paper size, page orientation, scale, and margins of the output document.
- Select formatting options such as showing or hiding gridlines or notes in the final product.
- Add headers and footers such as the sheet name, current date and time, and the page number.
More detailed tutorial: How To Convert Google Sheets To PDF
Other Google Sheets Functions
Lastly, we’ll cover some additional essential Google Sheets functionalities, such as transposing data, that can further enhance your productivity and efficiency
How to transpose in Google Sheets
- Highlight the range you want to transpose and hit Ctrl + C on Windows or Command + C on Mac to copy the range.
- Use the Paste Special option to paste the transposed data into a cell.
- Use the TRANSPOSE() formula to create a transposed copy of your data that will update whenever the original column/row updates.
More detailed tutorial: How To Transpose In Google Sheets
Hopefully this guide has given you an overview of converting things in Google Sheets.
Explore some of the other useful resources on Sheets for Marketers:
- Google Sheets Templates – A collection of over 200 Google Sheets templates for SEO, marketing, PPC and more.
- Google Sheets Tutorials – A growing collection of spreadsheet tutorials for doing (almost) everything in Google Sheets.
- Data Studio Templates – A collection of over 50 Google Data Studio templates for SEO reporting.